Ohio University logo

Carr Van Anda Award

Since 1968, the faculty of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism has awarded the Carr Van Anda to journalists who have made enduring contributions to the field of journalism.

Kathleen Carroll2013
Gwen Ifill2012
H. Brandt Ayers2011
Bob Woodward2007
Dith Pran2007
Jerry Ceppos2006
Nina Totenberg2005
David Talbott2004
Charles Peters2003
Hodding Carter III2002
Don Hewitt2001
Christiane Amanpour2001
Sander Vanocur2000
Seymour Hersh1999
Garrick Utley1998
Albert J. Schottelkotte1996
John Mack Carter1996
Jack Nelson1995
William Raspberry1994
Howard Chapnick1992
Peter Arnett1992
Terry Anderson1992
Allen H. Nuharth1991
Ellen Goodman1991
W. A. Swanberg1990
John Seigenthaler1990
Pierre Salinger1990
Lee W. Huebner1989
Warren H. Phillips1989
Sally Aw Sian1988
Bill Plante1988
Nate Polowetzky1987
James Jackson Kilpatrick1987
Katherine Fanning1986
Charles Osgood1985
John Sengstacke1985
Dorothy Fuldheim1985
Daniel Schorr1984
Harold Buell1983
Robert Pierpoint1983
Hugh Downs1982
Richard R. Campbell1982
Ted Turner1982
Van Gordon Sauter1981
Flora Lewis1981
Roderick Beaton1980
Paul Miller1979
Robert Gilka1979
Alton Blakeslee1978
Charlotte C. Curtis1978
Mike Wallace1977
Helen Thomas1977
Pat Carbine1976
A.M. Rosenthal1976
Eric Sevareid1975
Philip Meyer1975
Katharine Graham1975
Shana Alexander1974
Otis Chandler1974
Harry Reasoner1973
William Attwood1973
Richard Leonard1972
Pauline Frederick1972
Norman Cousins1971
James Reston1971
Howard K. Smith1970
Gordon Parks1970
John S. Knight1970
Osborn Elliott1969
Margaret Bourke-White1969
Wes Gallagher1969
Walter Cronkite1968
Edward W. Barrett1968
Turner Catledge1968

Carr Van Anda biography

Carr Van Anda was born on December 2, 1864 in Georgetown, Ohio, the son of Frederick and Mariah (Davis) Van Anda. After his mother's death and his father's remarriage the family moved to Wapakoneta, Ohio. In 1880, at age sixteen, Van Anda entered Ohio University in Athens, Ohio where he studied for two years. During college he worked as a correspondent for newspapers in Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Van Anda left Ohio University and returned to Wapakoneta. He became a foreman on the weekly Auglaize Republican. This provided him with invaluable experience in the mechanical aspects of newspaper work. In 1883 he landed a job as a typesetter on The Cleveland Herald, which eventually merged with The Plain Dealer. His reporting skills were recognized and he was promoted to telegraph editor. In 1886 he went to work for the Cleveland Evening Argus which soon folded. At the young age of 22 he moved to Baltimore and landed the important position of night editor on the Baltimore Sun, but Van Anda was lured by the dream of working in New York. On March 12, 1888 he was hired as a reporter/copy editor on the New York Sun. Van Anda became the night editor on January 1, 1893.

Van Anda's legendary 21 year career as the active managing editor of the New York Times began February 14, 1904. Adolph S. Ochs had purchased the floundering paper in 1896. Ochs was financially supportive of Van Anda's efforts to build the finest news gathering organization in the world. As managing editor Van Anda still kept the hours of a night editor, coming to work early in the afternoon, taking a break for dinner around six and staying at the office until the paper was put to bed in the early morning hours. Under Van Anda's leadership the Times was the first paper to print news of the Titanic sinking, won a Pulitzer Prize for its coverage of World War I, gave unprecedented attention to scientific topics, such as Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, and in 1923 tied up the only phone line to the rural village in Vermont where Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as president of the United States. Van Anda is credited with developing the Times as a newspaper of record.

In February 1925, due to ill health, Van Anda took a leave of absence from the Times. In 1932 he officially retired. On January 29, 1945 Carr Van Anda died at age 80. The Ohio University School of Journalism established its Carr Van Anda Award for highest distinction in journalism in his honor in 1968.


Emery, Edwin, "Carr Vattell Van Anda," Dictionary of American Biography, Supplement 3. Charles Scribner's Sons: (New York, 1973.)

Fine, Barnett, A Giant of the Press. The Editor and Publisher Company: (New York, 1933.)

Hynes, Terry, "Carr Van Anda," Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 25: American Newspaper Journalists, 1901 - 1925. Gale Research: (Detroit, 1984.)

Prepared by Lisa M. Wood, May 1997

Carr Van Anda: The man who re-invented disaster coverage

By Roy Peter Clark, Senior Scholar at the Poynter Institute

My old friend Howell Raines is doing a fine job leading The New York Times through one of the most important stories in memory.

A strong case could be made that the inventor of full-speed-ahead, story-of-the decade coverage was a cigar-smoking, hand-wringing legend named Carr Vattel Van Anda, known in the Times newsroom as V.A. or Boss.

Born in Ohio in 1864, Van Anda worked for the New York Sun for 16 years, but was persuaded to switch to the Times by its publisher, Adolph Ochs. Together Ochs and Van Anda created the sober and comprehensive approach to news that turned the paper into a beacon.

All of this is recorded in a wonderful book, "The Story of The New York Times," by one of its greatest writers, the late Meyer Berger, who chronicles the paper's first century, 1851-1951. Van Anda emerges as one of the book's odd heroes, nowhere more powerfully than in the story of his spearheading the Titanic coverage.

The date was Sunday, April 14, 1912, and V.A. was working his usual shift, past midnight and into the early morning hours. A sleepy news cycle turned electric when an alarm was sounded out of the copy room. The A.P. bulletin read: "At 10:25 o'clock tonight the White Star Line steamship Titanic called 'CQD' to the Marconi station here, and reported having struck an iceberg. The steamer said that immediate assistance was required."

Evaluating the early evidence, Van Anda smelled a disaster and geared his troops up for balls-to-the-wall coverage. While editors at other papers prepared cautious announcements reminding readers of the ship's unsinkable reputation, Van Anda prepared for the worst. A first-edition package of stories was prepared, contained images of the ship and its captain, a list of notable people on board, stories of recent near-misses of ships with icebergs, a history of ships that had been lost as a result of such encounters. The news staff cranked out as many "short takes" as possible with details of the disaster, copy boys running around the newsroom snatching them out of typewriters.

The following headline ran across the front page:


The achievement of that first day would be impressive enough, but Berger's history highlights what happened next. Berger calls it "the ultimate in disaster news coverage." Under Van Anda's direction, city editor Arthur Greaves mobilized every available reporter. The Carpathia was due into port carrying more than 700 survivors of the disaster. Only four reporters from each paper would be allowed on board, and then only after all the survivors had disembarked. "Van Anda was in quite a frenzy. The whole story would have to be gathered, assembled and in type within the three hours between the Carpathia arrival at 9:30 p.m. and first-edition time at 12:30 a.m., and he was ready to devote almost the entire Friday Times to it."

Here were the elements of Van Anda's plan: * Pay for a whole floor in a hotel near where the ship would come into port.
* Install four telephones at the hotel connected to Times rewrite desk.
* Send 16 reporters to the pier with only four passes. Reporters without passes would work the docks, getting as close to survivors as possible.
* Assign the main stories to the four reporters with passes.
* Instruct reporters to rush to the hotel for debriefing by rewrite men, and re-assignment.

The city editor assigned a list of specific stories: "A man to write a general piece on the Carpathia's arrival. A man to write arrangements for survivor relief. Three men to make rounds of midtown hotels to reach survivors not available at the pier. A man to cover the tugboats sent to escort the Carpathia up the river. A reporter to cover crowds. Another to cover police arrangements."

There was one key source, and the Times had to get to him. His name was Harold Bride, and he was the wireless operator on the rescue ship. It was Bride who received the messages from the sinking vessel. It was he who would have the full inside story. But the authorities on the ship and dock were keeping reporters at bay. Who could break the logjam? Van Anda wondered.

V.A. sent a reporter to find Guglielmo Marconi, inventor of the wireless and one of the world's great communications entrepreneurs. The reporter would eventually be mistaken for Marconi's manager, and the two were escorted aboard the Carpathia, where they milked the exhausted and awe-struck Mr. Bride for the greatest story of its day.

Friday morning's edition contained 15 pages of coverage (out of 24). The headline read:


Berger expresses affection for this "quiet lead" by Endicott Rich:

"In a clear starlit night that showed a clear deep blue sea for miles and miles, the Titanic, an hour after she had struck a submerged iceberg at full speed, head-on, sank slowly to her ocean grave.

"Her band, lined on deck, was playing pleasant music as she sank in full view of the boatloads of her wretched survivors, and those left of her passengers and crew -- fully two-thirds-stood quietly resigned on deck awaiting the final plunge."

Berger offers an enduring writing lesson: "These subdued lines had incredible emotional impact, and most of the other stories were pitched in the same low key. Stark fact, simply told, was more powerful than any purple writing."

There is nothing new under the sun, or in The Sun, or in the Times, for that matter. As we perfect our craft, we all stand on the shoulders of giants, including many, like Carr Van Anda, who have been lost to the passing of years, but whose legacy of innovation and excellence created a standard and a set of routines that make the achievements of our time imaginable.

Note: Carr Van Anda studied at Ohio University prior to the establishment of a journalism program. He left Ohio University after two years of study in the sciences to take on the editorship of his hometown newspaper. Eventually, he became managing editor of the New York Times. In 1968 the JSchool established the Carr Van Anda Award in his honor, to recognize individuals who consistently achieve high journalistic standards.