The E.W. Scripps School of Journalism offers a dynamic graduate program that allows for flexibility and opportunity to work with engaged faculty members who are experts in their fields.
Ohio is widely noted as a leader in journalism education, and our Bobcat alumni are working in a wide range of jobs in our profession. Scripps graduates hold leadership positions at major media companies, broadcast networks, advertising agencies, and public relations firms around the country and around the world. We are truly international in scope, and our students have taken advantage of opportunities to travel the globe with us while being based at our beautiful campus in Athens, Ohio.
The most effective journalism and strategic communication depends on a diversity of viewpoints and we make sure our master’s and doctoral cohorts bring a wide range of experiences to the classroom. We look for applicants from a wide range of educational and professional backgrounds.
At the master’s level, prior education or professional experience in the field is not required. We offer an effective mix of professional courses including reporting, writing, audio/video production, podcasting, data journalism, and mobile journalism, in addition to advanced theoretical coursework to get students ready to either enter the profession or begin doctoral-level work.
At the doctoral level, students immerse themselves in scholarly research methods and theory, preparing for faculty positions at outstanding colleges and universities. Many of our graduates are professors, chairs or deans of their journalism departments. Others have are working at research firms and think tanks.
We offer competitive financial aid packages that include tuition waivers and stipends for our graduate assistants.
For more information or to schedule a visit to our school, contact:
Director of Graduate Studies
E.W. Scripps School of Journalism
Athens, OH 45701-2979
Graduate Student Research and News
- Graduate student combines both her passions to figure out how to make the world a better place (posted 03.13.2019)
- First year master’s student presents research at civil rights conference (posted 03.13.2019)
- Ph.D. candidate presents VR work at Appalachian Studies conference (posted 03.11.2019)
- Two Graduate students to present research papers at JJCHC (posted 03.9.2019)
- Grad students to present five research papers at annual conference (posted 02.5.2019)
- Scripps picks up top papers at AJHA National Conference (posted 11.1.2018)
- OU alumnus recognized with 2018 Tankard Award at AEJMC (posted 09.30.2018)