Office of Global Opportunities seeking PACE Social Media Manager
PACE Proposal- Social Media Manager
This PACE position supports the activities of The Office of Global Opportunities (OGO) by increasing awareness of the office’s mission, services, programs, and events. Duties include promoting events as well as publicizing information about off campus educational experiences abroad and domestically. This position manages the social media accounts for the department with varying levels of activity. This position is appropriate for a student who has studied abroad or off campus and/or is enthusiastic about intercultural experiences, and who would like to gain valuable practical public relations skills.
The student employed in this position will work directly with the Office of Global Opportunities Program Coordinator, who manages office events and oversees marketing and publicity. This student’s work will be divided between promoting specific programs and events; managing and generating content for OGO social media outlets including a blog highlighting student experiences abroad, facebook, twitter, instagram and pinterest; and some time spent planning and organizing promotional events.
The student will have the opportunity to use his/her creativity to get the word out on global programs and also to propose new promotional ideas.
Duties and responsibilities:
1. Manage OGO’s social media presence and content curation. Student will be responsible for:
* Managing the update of regular content for facebook, twitter, and instagram accounts by utilizing content calendar for project management.
* Creating and managing promotional campaigns to increase awareness of global opportunities, drive users to existing online information, and share student success stories using brand voice.
* Recruiting students to write for blog, training guest writers on blog user interface, managing blog posting schedule, and overseeing and approving content of blog.
2. Social Media Analytics and Metrics
* Developing and implementing analysis of success social media accounts and promotional campaigns in relation to intended goals.
* Utilizing analysis software systems to create reports on campaigns and make suggestions for future content and campaign management.
3. Program Promotion. This will include:
* Developing and implementing creative means to inform students about programs and events from the office.
This student will work in the Office of Global Opportunities and have a desk and computer in an office shared with other student workers. The supervisor will be available for questions and regular meetings.
Benefits of the position
Public relations experience:
* Student will get hands-on experience in the field of public relations, which s/he can use to build a portfolio/resume.
* Student will gain experience building and maintaining brand identity.
* Student will gain experience analyzing success and failures of promotional campaigns. S/he will gain experience pitching new ideas and advocating for process based on measured statistics.
* Student will improve skill sets relevant to the field of public relations, including media relations, social media management, writing, publicity, and event planning.
1. Experience with public relations/marketing (class work or professional) required.
2. Experience managing social media accounts for an organization or business, strongly preferred.
3. Past study, work, or travel abroad experience preferred. Positive attitude towards global programs is a must.
4. Ability to work independently on projects, flexibility, and strong time management skills required.
5. Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
This student will be required to participate in a group training with other student workers. During training, students will complete a strengths assessment survey then participate in a group discussion about how each team member’s survey results can help the team succeed. These results will be referenced during team huddles and evaluations throughout the year.
The student in this position will be asked to attend the university-wide Social Media Managers Meeting (sponsored by University Communications and Marketing) with his/her supervisor on behalf of OGO. This group offers the student the opportunity to network with other social media managers across campus in various areas. S/he will bring updates of OGO projects and brainstorm ideas for future social media campaigns and collaborations.
The student will meet with their supervisor regularly between team meetings and individual one on one meetings. Periodic debriefings of larger projects will also take place. Supervisor will evaluate the work and learning experience of the student on both informal and formal basis. The PACE student will be evaluated once per semester based on their performance of the position responsibilities (as outlined above) and feedback from clients and coworkers. S/he will have the opportunity to perform a self-assessment at mid-year to reflect on accomplishments and set goals for the next semester. The student will receive formal, written mid-year and year-end evaluations from their supervisor.