Seattle Times accepting applications for summer interns
Next summer, you could be paid to train in your chosen profession at the Northwest’s leading news media organization. Every year, The Seattle Times and seattletimes.com offer paid summer internships to outstanding students pursuing a journalism career. For 10 weeks, interns attend weekly training sessions with members of The Seattle Times’ Pulitzer Prizewinning staff and work on a variety of assignments adding up to invaluable experience at a quality metropolitan newspaper and website.
Internships are open to juniors, seniors and graduate students attending a four-year college or university. Applicants must be journalism majors or have a demonstrated commitment to print or online journalism, possess social media skills and be digitally astute. Internship experience at other news organizations is required.
HOW TO APPLY
November 3 (4 p.m. Pacific Time), for the following summer.
All applications must be submitted into the UltiPro Applicant Tracking System using this link:
WHAT TO PROVIDE IN YOUR APPLICATION
Application information and materials for The Seattle Times internships vary by position. However, all applicants must provide a cover letter, resume and three references familiar with your work. Check below for your area of interest and other required submissions. Apply for no more than two positions.
The Seattle Times is a drug-free workplace.
• Applicants for metro internships should have strong reporting, writing and multimedia skills
• Provide links to five samples of your reporting work
• Applicants MUST have a car
• Applicants should have strong sports knowledge, as well as reporting, writing and multi-media skills
• Provide five samples of your work
• Applicants MUST have a car
David Boardman Investigative Reporting
• Applicants must have strong reporting, writing and public records skills, data skills a plus
• Provide links to five examples of your work, including those that show deep reporting
• Applicants must have strong language skills and some editing experience on multiple platforms
• Finalists will take a copy editing test
• Applicants must have strong computer, drawing and data visualization skills
• Provide a digital portfolio with links to as many as 20 samples of your work, including infographics, both static and interactive; and illustrations
Digital and Interactives
• Knowledge of Wordpress, Excel, and/or SQL is also valuable
• Provide a link to your online portfolio containing 20–30 images that include news, features, portraits, sports, at least one photo story and an example of video work
• Applicants MUST have a car and photo equipment
Please do not mail hard copies. Resume, cover letter and work samples must be posted in the Edit Your Profile tab. Please screen your own work to provide the requested number of samples.